Saturday 6 June 2009

I remember*

Sixty-five years ago this morning, the 'largest single-day amphibious invasion of all time' commenced. It was the beginning of the end of Hitler. My heartfelt thanks to the men and women who, without the reassuring benefit of our victory-tinted hindsight, undertook the task.

Portsmouth, England: Veteran Leonard Hackett, 86, takes part in the commemoration services for the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings. Photograph: Jonathan Brady/Epa.
Source:
The Guardian.


*Of course, technically, I don't remember, since I wasn't born yet, and that's the reason it's all the more important that I do remember, and anyways, you know what I mean.

2 comments:

Eric Heupel said...

Bravo. Job well done.

Panic Away said...

I agree with Eric. Bravo! Excellently done.